Friday, August 2, 2013

When Horses Escape

          
This is a picture snapped by my husband's cell phone. Here they are getting ready to return to their barn.



   We had a thunderstorm this evening, and although the horses could leave the pasture and enter their stalls, and usually would, they apparently didn't.  The thunder was louder than normal and there was more lightning than usual.  I feed the horses around five o'clock, and then after they have had a chance to eat, dance and frolic, I put each of them in their stalls around eight or nine pm, depending upon the season. I don't like to have them out in the dark, particularly after dark when the bats come out.
                  So around eight pm, after the storm, I headed down to the barn to find all four horses grazing in a distant field in the tall grasses.   They looked up and saw me, and then went right on grazing. As I went to get four lead lines, I noticed that a portion of the corner of the fence had been broken. I made a mistake in not anticipating that this storm might be worse than the others we have almost daily each afternoon.  They must have become spooked and then challenged the fence, feeling safer out of the pasture than in it.  I used my cell phone to get some extra help. I called my husband who was in the house.   He came out immediately  and tried to drive them toward the barn which I had opened on one side.   No such luck.  All four of them took off galloping with gorgeous form looking a lot like the wild ponies in the West.  They headed for the house and galloped around the front and back yards.    Then all at once, they ran off.   I was quite worried wondering if they would somehow head for the mountain trail which leads to the farm.  The entry road is gated here, but fences don't always keep these horses in, as I just learned this evening.   All at once they reemerged galloping at top speed toward me, and I was just a little scared. I was beginning to wonder if this post was going to be "When Horses Attack ".  Just then,  Shadow slowed, and I put a lead line on him and walked him inside.  With my husband following them, the remaining three followed Shadow.  I tossed them the really excellent hay, and thanked them for returning.
                 This is my fault.  I should have anticipated that a thunderstorm could spook them, and I should have had each of them in their stalls beforehand.  This can be difficult.  They like to frolic and be out as long as they can.  Sometimes, storms come on very quickly.  Also, horses are not the only animals I have or the only thing that demands my attention.  I am grateful that they didn't injure themselves or leave hoof imprints in the body of my fairly new car !

No comments:

Post a Comment