Monday, May 25, 2015

When to Euthanize

            
Eventually, we all pass.    (This alpaca is very much alive and is owned by zenasurialpacas.wordpress.com )

 

                This is not a veterinary scholarly article on when to euthanize a beloved pet.   A veterinarian you trust is probably the best guide as to when to proceed.     This will be a post on when, as a farmer or animal lover, you must make the decision as to whether to continue to let the animal have a natural passing, or whether to end the process of an evolving "normal death" using other means.

                 I have had animals since I was four, and that means I have loved many creatures of many species. I am never okay with seeing them depart Earth even when they have met or exceeded their normal life expectancy.  However, death is a part of life. I know it is unfair of me to wish them to linger, and so my own needs are something I must keep in check.   Everyone passes. even beloved pets. I have also been very lucky in that most of my pets have had a tolerable gentle passing where I have been able to be present and supportive of them.  Only a few times have I had to resort to euthanization.    More than ten years ago, we had a beloved dog named Daisy who wasn't all that old.  She had been a rescue.  Daisy had intractable grand mal seizures that could not be easily controlled.  Even a continuous drip of intravenous diazepam at a veterinary critical care center could not prevent breakthrough seizures entirely.   Several vets and I tried everything.  Ultimately, she was suffering, and a fine vet came out to the house, and euthanized her in the back yard as I gently spoke to her.    Another time, also more than ten years ago, I had a rescue beagle who was by all accounts twenty-four years old.  He had cancer but was functional and was slowing down.  At first it appeared that he would pass fairly comfortably, but in the last day of his life, it was clear that his discomfort was not relieved.  His strong heart just wouldn't quit.   He was euthanized by the on call vet in the back of my car as we spoke to him softly.   It was only very recently that I made the choice to end one beloved animals life in the middle of the night, rather than letting him suffer until morning.   All of the other animals we have had have died naturally and peacefully.

                 Our "rescue farm" largely has animals that we had when Daniel was alive and still rescuing them.  This means that simply by virtue of time passed since he was here,  some of these animals are extremely old.  Intellectually, I understand that a week may come here when we have to bury several alpacas and a couple of dogs, and some chickens.  The vet told me six years ago that my Siberian Husky would likely not make it through that Winter.  What happened ?  My young son without known health problems passed suddenly of an arrhythmia, and Daniel's Siberian stayed for now, six and a half years past the vets stated date of probable expiration.  Vets can usually hazard a good guess as to when a creature will pass, but no one really knows.  A dog can be critically ill, and then receive conservative treatment and pop up the next morning to live five more years or so.  Conversely, a young animal can become sick and pass quickly while you and the vet are waiting for the results of lab work.

                 When should we as owners or farmers euthanize our beloved animals ?     I choose to euthanize when there is a known terminal process and the animal will suffer if permitted to continue living.   Sometimes we can medicate for pain and put off euthanization, and sometimes we cannot.    I tend not to euthanize an animal who is still enjoying eating and drinking.  I tend not to euthanize an animal who still enjoys walks with me.  I don't euthanize an animal who will be a lot of work for me in present condition. I try to euthanize as it benefits them.     I had a dog about six years ago who had seizures and weak back legs.  We were able to control the seizures with a vet who specialized in them, and with phenobarb and with specially compounded potassium bromide given twice daily.   As he aged, he developed weak back legs.  He ultimately was a lot of care, but he seemed to enjoy the care, was not in pain, and eventually passed comfortably. Each case is different, and each situation will require careful and individualized decision making.

                  Just recently, a friend of mine had a beloved horse euthanized and buried on his property.  The horse had been with him for more than half of his life.  The man's concern for his horses comfort was striking. I know that I am not alone in my concerns for the animals who look to me for comfort and sometimes direction.


                I have several alpacas and dogs who are of extremely advanced age just now.  Although they are functional, I know their passings are imminent, and my heart is heavy with the decision as to when to let them go.   I pray that I will have the wisdom and the courage to know when to proceed.  I hope that I am able to choose when it's best for them to depart Earth, not necessarily when it's best for me.

                 Of course, when a creature you may have taken on as a young animal, is now elderly and ready to pass, we cannot help but feel the passing of time, and its weight on our own lives.  The loss of a  beloved family pet is a reminder that ultimately we all inch toward a passing to the next plane.  Someday, my own time on this farm will end, and I hope to be reunited with my beloved animals as well as Daniel and other beloved family members.   Until then, I will do my best to guard animal life as long as is sensible, and then to end animal life as quickly and as gently as is possible.  I hope these thoughts are helpful in some way to you, and either help set out your own decision making, or bring comfort to you in a challenging time.



2 comments:

  1. Its sad to accept that the pet euthanasia was the last decision that we can made for our beloved pets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gine, It is. But we can begin to heal knowing that we did the best thing in order to relieve the suffering of our beloved animal. Most of our animals here die of old age in relative comfort, just sleeping more and more. However, sometimes when there is a disease process that produces pain, seizures or other clear discomfort, euthanization is a gift we can give them. Thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete